Friday, October 22, 2010

Moving Day

Monday night I had created a Facebook event entitled “Challenge: Face Value”, in which I and this group “The Reconnect” challenged people to voluntarily delete there Facebook for one week. Since that Monday night there has been an extreme backlash. People are angry, and it is not with Facebook, it is with us! It has begun to feel as if Facebook is an extra limb to some people and we are asking them to hack it off. It’s that third arm we all always wanted, that arm that seems to make every task easier. We seem to forget how ugly we might look with that arm, or how in the way it may get from time to time, because it enables us to multi-task.
I have loved my third arm for the last four years. I truly had a good run with it. On Sunday, October 24th though I am getting an amputation. At first when I created the event on Monday night I wondered “How am I going to do this!”. How am I going to live without this third arm? I realized though I used to live with two just fine. But how did I live with two? I honestly do not remeber, but I am so exicted to see.
I have stopped worrying about deleting my Facebook, because this backlash to the challenge made me think “Why are we all so afraid to let go”. Why are people defending Facebook so much? Regardless I am making the move on Sunday. The move. Today I have realized I have to pack up. Pack up all the necessary information on my facebook that I will need to survive without it. I need to say goodbye to all my good friends, and tell them I hope to see them soon, because I won’t be seeing them in Facebook-ville anymore.

So my question to you is: What do you think I need to pack up?
E-mail us at: disconnect2reconnect@gmail.com


Posted by: Courtney Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment